Although I’m not a Vegetarian I like the occasional Veggie Burger but finding Gluten Free Veggie Burgers can be difficult since many of the options available in major supermarkets use Wheat as a primary ingredient. This Recipe for Gluten Free Veggie Burgers is Quick and Easy and doesn’t require any ingredients that are expensive or hard to find, in fact most are store cupboard staples. It’s a great Gluten Free (and Vegetarian) recipe for dinner.
As well as being healthy these are really tasty, the Lentils and Cashews are high in protein give them a satisfying nutty taste and crunchy texture. If you follow the recipe below exactly you’ll end up with a pretty spicy burger, if this isn’t for you then just reduce the amount of curry powder and chilli flakes.
I usually use canned Puy Lentils which you can find everywhere to make these as they’re more convenient, if you decide to use dried Lentils you’ll have to cook them first. Chickpea flour (sometimes called Gram Flour) is available in most big supermarkets in the UK.
To toast the cashews just put them into a dry pan over a medium high heat for 5-10 minutes keeping them moving all the time, you’ll know when they’re done by the colour and smell.
It’s important to keep any eye on the burgers when frying them as they can burn very quickly, two minutes a side should be long enough.
These are great served with any kind of dip, Houmous is my favourite but a Greek Yoghurt dip with Courgette and Walnut also works well. They also go well with salad and if you want an authentic burger experience you can, of course, make one with Gluten Free Pitta or other bread.
- 300g of Puy Lentils
- 1 Finely Diced Onion
- 5 Chopped Garlic Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Ginger
- 2 Teaspoons of Chilli Flakes
- 2 Teaspoon of Ground Coriander
- 4 Teaspoons of Curry Powder
- 2 Teaspoons of Ground Cumin
- 50g of Cashew Nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 Lightly Beaten Eggs
- 50g of Gram (Chickpea) Flour
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Mix all of the Burger ingredients together well
- Shape the mixture into Burger shaped Patties (these quantities should make about 6)
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a pan
- Fry each burger for two minutes on each side
- Transfer the burgers to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve Immediately