I love Peanuts, Peanut Butter and anything Satay (this Peanut Butter Gratin is another favourite of mine), this recipe for a Gluten Free Chicken and Broccoli Satay is really quick to make, doesn’t require sourcing or splashing out for any exotic ingredients – there’s a reasonable chance you will have all of the ingredients in the cupboard already – if not they’re all easy to find. Most importantly of all it tastes really good, the nuttiness working well with the Broccoli, and is pretty healthy.
Broccoli is recognised as a “super food”. It’s high in fibre (both soluble and insoluble) and is a rich source of vitamin-C, just a 100 gram serving of broccoli will provide you with more than 150% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin C. Broccoli is also rich in vitamin A, iron, vitamin K, B-complex vitamins, zinc, phosphorus and phyto-nutrients – compounds which lower the risk of developing diabetes, heart disease and some cancers.
The Peanuts and Peanut Butter in this dish are also good for your health. Studies suggest peanuts may be good for your heart, and that eating them in sensible amounts may make it a little easier to lose weight. They’re a great source of protein, fibre, monounsaturated fatty acids, niacin, folate and vitamin E and they also contain resveratrol, which works as an antioxidant.
The recipe below recommends using Gluten Free Soy Sauce, this is easy to find in any reasonably big UK supermarket but if you dont have any or don’t want to use it I dont find that it makes much difference to leave it out – I usally just add a pinch of Salt to make up for it. I toast the peanuts before doing anything else – just keep them moving around a dry pan for about 5 minutes and find the putting the Broccoli and Chicken in the oven at the same time and cooking for about 15 minutes will resualt in both being well cooked but your mileage may vary depending on the size of Chicken Breast you use.
1 large head of broccoli
- 1 small red chilli, de-seeded and chopped (more if you like it hotter)
- 20g brown sugar
- 1 can coconut milk
- 100g crunchy peanut butter
- 30g Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 50g Unsalted Toasted Peanuts
- 2 Chicken Breasts.
1 Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Cook the chilli in a splash of oil for about half a minute, add the sugar and allow it to brown a little.
- As soon as the sugar has browned, carefully add the coconut milk and allow it to simmer for 15-20 minutes so that it becomes thicker.
While the sauce is simmering bring a large pan of water to the boil.
Break the broccoli into large florets and put them into the water, blanch for 30 seconds.
- Drain the broccoli well and place the florets on an oiled roasting tray with the Chicken. Roast in the oven for around 15 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter to the Coconut sauce a bit at a time, stirring it well
- Add the soy sauce
- To serve, spoon some sauce on a plate, add the broccoli and the Chicken, pour over some more sauce and then garnish with the toasted peanuts.